We are always scouting for the latest in early learning. This article by the National Conference of State Legislators (NCSL) is packed full of information about the latest trends in early childhood learning. There are links to articles on nearly every important topic for parents of preschoolers. So much great information that we decided the best thing would be to reprint a portion of it for you. It touches on new trends, like how teachers are reading aloud to teach STEM concepts to young learners, a site that offers free books to enhance early literacy, and changing childcare trends in the workplace.
Early childhood education (preschool-third grade) has been gaining attention from researchers and policy makers and there is new information and findings for parents every week. NCSL updates the content on this page every two weeks.
We’ve included a few links to stories we think you’ll find interesting or read the entire article here.
- Early STEM: Connecting Read-Alouds with STEM in Early Childhood Education (Education Week)
- Early literacy: Baby’s Got Mail: Free Books Boost Early Literacy (NPREd)
- Family engagement: An Unprecedented Look at Early Childhood Home Visiting (Heising-Simons Foundation)
- Early learning (General): Workforce of Today, Workforce of Tomorrow: The Business Case for High-Quality Childcare (S. Chamber of Commerce Foundation)
- Early STEM: To Raise Math Achievement, Start Early (WestEd)
- Early literacy: The Changing Face of Literacy(Education Week)
- Equity in Education: Emphasizing Social Justice and Equity in Leadership for Early Childhood (WestEd)
- Family engagement: 2017 Home Visiting Yearbook (National Home Visiting Resource Center)
- Finance: Kids Share 2017: Report on Federal Expenditures on Children 2016 and Future Projections (Urban Institute)
- School Discipline & Social-Emotional Learning: Encouraging Social and Emotional Learning in the Context of New Accountability (Learning Policy Institute)
Blogs, Podcasts, Videos and Webinars
Links to recent blogs, podcasts and webinars are presented to provide the reader with additional locations for gathering information in the fields highlighted below.
- Early STEM: Supporting English Learners in STEM Subjects (The National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine)
- Early Literacy: Webinar: AmeriCorps-Reading and Math Corps and Policy Implications (NCSL & State Services Commission)
- Finance: Opportunities to Fund Early Childhood Education through the Every Student Succeeds Act (National Association of Latino Elected Officials)
- Social and Emotional Learning:Social and Emotional Learning for Traditionally Underserved Populations (American Youth Policy Forum)
- K-3 Quality: K-3 Policymakers’ Guide to Action (Consortium for Policy Research in Education-Knowledge Hub)
- Strengthening the K-3 Continuum (NCSL)
- Full-Day Kindergarten: A Look Across the States (Education Commission of the States)
- 2016 State of Preschool Yearbook (National Institute for Early Education Research)
Feel free to share!